Minister of Higher Education and Training, Naledi Pandor held a media briefing on Tuesday at Imbizo Media Centre in Parliament. This comes after the announcement that was made by the government last year about student funding changes that will occur this year.
Speaking at the briefing, Pandor said: “Student funding is a critical contributor to the success of students in TVET colleges and universities. As government, we have made an enormous commitment to student support in the form of this new bursary scheme. It is important that we succeed.”
The Minister has set out details about the bursary scheme that has been introduced this year. Her department is working closely with NSFAS to ensure the success to #FreeEducation.
She confirmed that the government will support poor and working-class students through an expanded bursary scheme that is going to replace the previous loan and partial bursary scheme.
“Additional government funding of R7.166 billion in 2018 has been allocated to fund bursaries for children of poor and working class families entering universities and TVET colleges, with R4.581 billion set aside for qualifying university students and R2.585 billion for TVET college students,” said Pandor.
She added that the increase in funding for 2018/19 will support 458 875 students to receive tuition bursaries. Based on the historical data and the enrolment targets for 2018/19, it is also estimated that more than 90% of TVET college will benefit.
“Although first time entering student will not be expected to pay back the cost of their bursaries, they will be expected to meet certain conditions and expectations, including those relating to satisfactory academic performance and service conditions.”
Pandor added that the new funding allocation for the first-time entry students is expected to fund approximately 40% (83 200) of the 208 000 spaces for new entrants at universities this year. The final number of students funded will only be known later in the year.