South African knitwear and esteemed runway designer, Laduma Ngxokolo started his brand, Maxhosa by Laduma in 2010.
The brand was inspired by the Xhosa culture with the vision to create a modern Xhosa-inspired knitwear collection that would be suitable for Amakrwala – Xhosa initiates – who dress up in new ‘dignified’ formal clothing for six months after their manhood initiation.
Laduma felt inspired to create knitwear that caters for men and women and celebrates traditional Xhosa aesthetics and drew inspiration from Xhosa beadwork patterns, symbolism and colours.
Since his career took off, Ngxokolo received numerous achievements and captured the hearts of fashion lovers, both locally and abroad, more specifically London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin and New York. In 2016, the Design Indaba awarded Ngxokolo’s shawl the coveted title of ‘The Most Beautiful Object in SA’.
Here are some signature Maxhosa by Laduma collections (courtesy of Maxhosa.co.za):
– The Mtanom’gquba collection celebrates dark skin tones in contrast with bright hues to elevate the appreciation of colour diversity. It captures the beauty of being truly African in a modern context that seeks an eternal way of communicating culture through fashion.
– Socks collection – Maxhosa believes that your feet carry you to an occasion you never anticipated you’d appear in
– My Heritage, My Inheritance which was dedicated to his late mother Lindelwa Ngxokolo, whose dream as a knitwear in the 80s was to travel to Paris to see high-end fashion. Maxhosa made his mother dream come true when he was invited by the Labo Ethinik Fashion Week to showcase his 2013 knitwear.
The brand has also received numerous accolades, including:
– 2014 Premium International Best Emerging Designer for SS15 Menwear
– 2014 Africa Fashion International Emerging Designer of the year award
– 2015 Vogue Italia Scouting for Africa Award
– 2016 Fashion Designer of the Year Southern Africa: ABRYANZ Style and Fashion Awards
– 2017 Pride of Africa: Africa Fashion Week Barcelona Awards
Source : maxhosa.co.za